Are you new to autocross, or new to Spokes? Here’s all the info on how to get involved.
What is autocross?
Here is a description on the SCCA website. Or, here’s a video.
Note: You do NOT need to be a Spokes member to participate in our autocrosses, but being a member gets you discounted entry, makes you eligible for year end points and trophies, and more (details below).
How Spokes autocross events work
Before the autocross
- Mandatory: Make sure your car meets the requirements listed on the Getting Your Car Ready page. If your car does not meet those requirements, you will not be allowed to compete 🙁
- Recommended: Using this quick handbook or from the the complete SCCA car classification guide, figure out which class your car falls in. If you can’t figure it out, don’t worry! Ask in the Spokes Facebook group, or just show up to the event and ask the vehicle tech inspector.
- Recommended: If possible, register online for the autocross. You don’t have to register online ahead of time; you can register at the event in person. You can find the registration link in the event page from the list of events.
- Remember to wear closed-toed shoes. If you have an appropriate Snell-rated helmet, bring it, otherwise you can use one of the loaner helmets from Spokes.
On the day of the autocross
- If it is your first time, arrive on site by 7:30am. Find a place to park (known as a paddock spot). Remove all the loose items from your car and get it ready for tech inspection.
- Take your car over to the tech inspection area before going to the registration trailer. The tech inspector will check your car, and help you figure out or confirm the correct classing for your car. You must apply the class letters on your car before the car will pass tech inspection.
- Return your car to your paddock spot, and walk over to the registration trailer (only after you have completed tech inspection above). Tell them the class the tech inspector gave you, and choose a 1 or 2 digit number for your car. Pay your entry fee.
- Go back to your car and apply the number to your car. Unless you have magnetic letters/numbers, most novices use painters tape. Make sure the numbers are larger than the letters, and make sure to use a contrasting color. Here is an example.
- Walk the course. Get a sense for where it goes; follow some of the more experienced drivers. It is strongly recommended to walk the course multiple times.
- Go on the novice walk through. The novice coordinator will not only point out things about the course, but will also give you very important information about working the course (every driver takes their runs in one heat, and works another heat).
- At ~9:40 attend the drivers meeting where they will go over important information about the event, and also announce the run/work order.
- Be on time when it is your turn to work, and have fun when it is your turn to drive 🙂
How to become a member
Member benefits include discounted entry at autocrosses, eligibility for year end points and trophies, discounts from some of our sponsors, and free entry to the year end party!
You can become a member of Spokes on AXWare, or in person at any of the events/meetings we hold throughout the year. Membership can be purchased at any time and is valid for 1 year. Dues are $47 for an individual membership, or $67 for a family membership ($2 discount for cash payments).